Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Terrain

One of the most important things in a game can easily be its terrain. The scale, the detail and the atmosphere it creates easily make a good terrain system a must.

So of course I've begun work on a terrain system, nothing fancy yet, I've only invested 2 days in it so far, but I'm pretty pleased with the results.

I've created a terrain editor, built right into the engine.
Features include:

  • Loading/Saving of a height-map
  • Physics, dynamic lighting... - all the features of the engine
  • Texture splatting
  • Raise, lower and smooth tools
  • The ability to paint terrain from right in the game!
I still need to look at some optimization techniques so I can be sure it runs flawlessly on the Xbox, but for now here's some screen-shots of the editor.

The terrain editor doing its thing.
Green = Raise; Red = Lower; Blue = Smooth; White = Texture Paint

No comments:

Post a Comment